Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 16 July 2013

Rivalry close to home


During the past 24 hours I have exchanged emails with someone back in the Isle of Man. The winner of the Up & Running Ramsey Park runs; the man who improved his personal best by 14 seconds last Friday.

He invited me to race him around the streets of Doncaster tomorrow night but I have declined.

I've had a fair bit of rivalry over the past few years with Kevin Deakes since he moved to the Island from Doncaster in 2006. I set an over 50's Manx Half Marathon record in November 2006 (a few weeks after I qualified in that age group) but I lost it to Kevin - where else but York. So he has the best over 50 mark, I have the next two but his fourth best was recorded in Scunthorpe at the end of April and went unreported. The email describing his 1.19.38 performance has been lying in my "to do" folder.

Kevin is the publisher of at least three websites and so we have a bit more in common. Anoraks perhaps?

Well its been much too hot to wear an anorak in York these past 10 days but I did the next best thing today spending three hours with Ben at the National Railway Museum. Opened in 1975, and very much in the photo view from our balcony, its had record attendances during our stay when all six surviving A4 steam engines have been on display (see photo).

Guess where the engines, including Mallard, which holds the record as the fastest steam engine in the world,  were built? Doncaster. I bet that Kevin will be steaming to another record in Doncaster tomorrow.




No comments: