Search Murray's blogs

Friday 26 April 2013

London Marathon in less than 6 days

Some years it has taken me months to get around to watching the TV coverage but I whizzed through the 330 minutes tonight. I was worth it just for one quote from Paula Radcliffe which went something like:

"Its much easier to run the second half of a marathon faster than the first."

I know what she meant of course. If you go too fast in the first half you are going to be slowing all the way to the finish. But not many people are fit enough to cruise the first half and then speed up.Especially if you put your spikes on as Colin Jackson said they were doing at the start!

In some ways I wish I had not known the result because it really was a great race. And as the commentators said, in fairness to Mo Farah, he did not appear to hog the limelight.

I liked Steve Cram's comment too about how he usually advises people to follow the example of the elite with regard to pace judgement. Of course Steve ran alongside our very own Paul Curphey on one occasion looking for tips.


Kipsang and Mutai taking advice on pace judgement from Paul Curphey

No comments: