Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 4 December 2012

Too many lunches

There was another massive turnout for the Microgaming Isle of Man Cross Country League in Ramsey on Sunday. Not quite as many as the previous round, I believe a rugby tournament kept some of the younger athletes away, but still more than ever before at the Crossags Farm venue. Its hard to believe that until a couple of years ago we used to drive right to the venue - now you are lucky to get in the car parks at the Ramsey Grammar School.

The size of the field led to some congestion at one or two places, particularly at the stile and maybe it is time to consider separate starts for some of classes.

In some ways I wish I was taking photos instead of running. There were at least three scenes I would have love to have captured on camera. Firstly, when a flock of sheep in the far field started to run towards to runners at the rear of the field. In fact, video would have been preferable to have captured a few squeals from the female runners. Secondly, when the runners had to form a queue at the stile and thirdly  a line of spectators on the bottom field leaning over the hedge caught my eye.

I've never failed to run up the hill but Sunday was as close as I have ever gone to walking. I was so slow I had extra time to think of the causes. I concluded it was less to do with injury, less to do with age and more to do with too much eating and drinking.

And to prove a point to myself, when Marie reminded me yesterday morning that I was attending a lunch with her today, I realised that I had also arranged a less formal one with someone else. If I were to have two lunches in one day I would definitely not get up the Saucer in Blackburn a month from now.

I think my pudding today will remind me of the mud!

No comments: