Search Murray's blogs

Monday 17 December 2012

BUT....



Last Thursday morning, I went for a run past the ExCel Centre in east London. It was a reminder of how big a place it is. The distances I am running these days meant that by the time I had reached the other end it was almost time to go back again.


On Saturday morning I read the Daily Mail's take on the BBC Sports Personality Awards night. Their argument that the event, at the ExCel Centre, is over-hyped does have a certain ring about about it, especially when hijacked by "Brand Beckham". Their case that Bradley Wiggins hardly thought, when he won the Tour de France, that he might be contention for an ever bigger night out made me think.

BUT. Why can't we something just indulge and enjoy the great year for sport? They can't include every sport (I was talking to a world champion this time last year who said he wouldn't watch it because it ignored his sport) but it remains one of the few days in the year when people take an interest in the greatest number of different sports.It was hard to believe that Mo Farah didn't even make the top three but there was a case for all those above him.

Its 20 years ago since we might have had the Olympics in GB had the Birmingham bid been successful. It will be a lot more than 20 before they return to GB.

BUT sport goes on at grass level. Or somewhere below grass roots for some of the fallers in the hill race on Saturday. I hope you don't mind my light hearted look at sport in tonight's video.


No comments: