Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 28 October 2012

When your luck is against you


I'm beginning to wonder if it was a good analogy to make. The one where compared by attempts to save my aching body by taking much better care of it being like my attempts to keep our car on the road long after the signs were there that it was crying "enough".

After getting a fair amount of work done on our 14 year old Clio last week, it was put to good use yesterday morning taking an old fridge to the amenity site before every cubic inch was filled with leaves from the cottage destined for the same place. After a visit to Robbie and a lovely walk with him around Quine's Hill (third perfect Saturday in a row), I set off to take my mother-in-law for a trip "up north".

The oil light came on and I turned through Baldrine Park before the engine seized. Its a bit worrying that its final resting place was only half a mile from the Ballanette Cross Country. If my analogy has too many similarities they might be burying me in the mud!

It was definitely the most expensive week of my life. The news from two vets about Marie's dog was worse than expected and he is to have operations on both legs.

Next there was the new boiler we installed at the cottage last year. A big capital outlay but the one that would save on maintenance costs. The one that tranmits a signal to a display in the kitchen to record the oil level. The one that was showing half a tank of oil but had actually run out. More than £500 to rectify not to mention another tank of fuel earlier than budgeted!

So if anyone saw me during the first few laps of the walk at the National Sports Centre looking a bit glum this morning perhaps you will forgive me. For when I went to start taking photos my best camera would not work! Not quite sure why but after going home and changing the card I was able to take some photos of the second half of the race and by then the rain had eased.

A change of luck at last? Then I watched the football!


Autumnal scenes yesterday.

No comments: