Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Magic Bus

I've had to take the bus to work today and will do so again tomorrow as double Parish Walk winner Peter Kaneen battles to extend the life of our Renault Clio just as Isla Scott has been trying to extend the running life of its driver and will do so again on Friday.

There was nothing magical about the Bus Vannin but I've been reading the autobiography of the man who wrote a top selling song called Magic Bus. That's quite an achievement for me as its my second autobiography in about three months!

As has been well documented, the Who's Pete Townshend stayed on the Isle of Man when he was a child when his father, who played in a big band, played for the season at the Palace Ballroom. What I hadn't realised was that he was here for 10 summers in a row.

He returned with the Who in the 60s at the time the Who had recorded Magic Bus and of course he also wrote Happy Jack which made references to the Isle of Man.

My favourite Who bus story though has been told before. My brother Mike witnessed them, in the days when if it was foggy at Ronaldsway the planes went to Jurby, on the bus with the other passengers being transferred between airports.

I like studying people; and relationships. I often say that we should get on with people even if we are not necessarily best friends. I like the story in the book about Pete Townshend having an argument with the Who's singer Roger Daltrey when they were still teenagers - he said they developed a grudging respect for each other that was to last a lifetime. I can think of a few relationships I have like that.

I have to admit I was rather scathing of Pete Townshend when the Who played in Peel in 2008 and he said how much he loved the Isle of Man and yet left within 30 minutes of the show. Reading the book I realise that it was been a big part of his rather confused childhood.

But it was Roger who returned last year.

 
Roger Daltrey poses for me at the Villa Marina last year.

Here ends the talk about My Generation. No Substitute for athletics where the Kids are Alright.  I Could See for Miles on Suiday. I Can't Explain how I started this bit but I Won't Get Fooled Again although I will be catching the Magic Bus at 5.15 tomorrow.I'm sure you will Join Together to get rid of me.

No comments: