Search Murray's blogs

Monday 8 October 2012

More of scan B than a plan B


On Friday evening I was all set to start work on one of my major "projects" for the winter - scanning and disposing of my scrapbooks. Over the past couple of years I have got rid of all the loose cuttings from the last 15 years or so but at least with those I could chop them up to fit on the scanner.

Scanning scrapbooks is different as you have to scan in more than one direction and the story ends up in two or three bits.

I wasn't even through the first of the big pile when the scanner started to put big coloured patches across the images (see above). I tried rebooting, and attaching the scanner to my laptop but the results were the same.

I suppose it was quite appropriate that it should fail when I was recording a world record. I reckon that in the 10 years or so that I have had my current scanner I must have scanned more photos and papers than anyone else in the world for every £1 spent - I think it cost about £65.

I hope that it will turn into a blessing in disguise as I have ordered a new one which with a bit of luck might arrive tomorrow. At a cost of £146 from Pixmania (it was about £200 at Amazon) I will end up with an A3 scanner so I can do a whole page of my scrapbook at a time. It will save me hours and hours of time.


Bring on scan B.

No comments: