Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Music kept me from the website

I received a note from Graham Davies yesterday to say that he had a link to Harriet Pryke's record breaking 400 metres video. I decided to make it the main feature of the website last night as it would also highlight the Bushy's Great South Run 10km which Graham organises.

I have to say that, although I appreciate the efforts of all my fellow webeditors, the music of Graham's site drives me crazy if I leave it connected for more than 10 seconds. To my surprise, when I mentioned it my reply email to Graham, he agreed!

So when I checked my own website today I kept the sound muted as the music would otherwise have kept me away from it.

Music kept me away from it for most of this evening whilst I watched the BBC Radio 2 folk awards on the red button channel. I loved the story from Ian Campbell, who was introduced as a legend, but explained the sales of his 19 albums up to 1980. They sold well, as far as folk albums go, with 50,000 to 70,000 sales each. Then two of his four sons joined a band in Birmingham and their first album sold more than his 19 combined! He has not worked much since then which is quite appropriate for a band named after an unemployment benefit form - UB40.

The awards tonight were at the Lowry Centre in Salford a venue at which I have never seen a concert. But I have seen a medal presentation for the Commonwealth Games on its doorstep.


And I bought tickets to see Ian Campbell's son's band play at the Villa Marina last year. Unfortunately fewer people booked tickets to see the Ali Campbell band than turned up to watch the 50km walk passing the Lowry centre in 2002 and the event was cancelled. A total washout - just like the 50km walk.


Alongside the Commonwealth Games course in 2002

No comments: