Search Murray's blogs

Saturday 10 March 2012

88 reasons to miss cross country

As I journeyed on the train with my brother between Birmingham and Droitwich yesterday afternoon, we passed the huge site of the former Longbridge Rover car factory before seeing Cofton Park to the right of the train. "That's where the Pope held his open air mass in 2010" said Mike. "I know" I replied. "Its also where the Inter Counties Cross Country Championships are being held tomorrow and I wish I stay to watch".

I had several moments like that when I was in Birmingham but I was back on Manx soil soon after 11 today on a replacement FlyBe plane after the first one developed a fault. How I wish I could have had a more leisurely  breakfast with the 90 minutes that we were delayed.

Not that I needed too much breakfast as I was also out for lunch at 12.30. It was my mother-in-law's 88th birthday and we went to the Palace Hotel. Given how close she was to passing away last September her birthday was well worthy of my principal celebration for the day.

After going for a drive and falling asleep (thankfully not at the same time) it was only a short time ago that I got around to watching Keith Gerrard's masterly display in the Inter Counties Cross Country.

Due to Keith's successes, some of the other fine performances by Manx athletes are being overshadowed but I can't help that - particularly when it is so hard to find the results from these big budget meetings. If Manx meetings can do it why can't others get the results published with easy to find prominent links?

No comments: