Search Murray's blogs

Friday 2 December 2011

The next clearout

I was off work today and sat with a cup of tea at 9 o'clock hoping to find the motivation to do an hour of scanning old results sheets etc. I next moved at 1 pm with a few hundred more pages of scanning complete.

I returned to the task tonight and cleared out my whole collection of certificates.

It might seem harsh to get rid of my past but the reality is that I didn't know I had most of them and by scanning and indexing them I can easily refer to them now if I want to.

Here are a couple of classics. I was the last person in my class at Ballakermeen to swim 20 yards and got a big cheer. I may even have been the last in the whole school. I was well past 13.



And yet a few months later I made my debut in a senior athletics event walking from the Black Hut to the Grandstand six weeks before my 14th birthday.



I had a boss a few years ago who in an initial 10 minute interview noted my strengths and weaknesses. He spent the next few years highlighting the same characteristics in my appraisal meetings.

In fitness terms I haven't changed much either. The only thing I have ever been good at is an event that keeps going for long distances.

If I worked harder on my weaknesses such as DIY I wouldn't have spent several hours today providing another library of material for the website and other researchers. I'm too old to change now as I prepare to go for a long run tomorrow morning.

No comments: