Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 18 December 2011

How long can one task take

Subject to them both making a mistake, I have published the names of the athletes who competed in the 1989 Manx AC v Boundary Harriers football match. Steve Taylor sent me most of the names a few days ago and Chris sent me an alternative list yesterday. Amazingly, they both completed the gaps the other had left.

Its taken me a bit longer to publish the photos that Steve Taylor sent to me of the two walkers who featured in the 1983 English Schools walks over here. Martin Rush hardly looks a day older but Tim......

The big news of the weekend (to me anyway) is that the Isle of Man will be sending a joint club team to the Northern Track and Field League next summer. I have embedded the IOMAA website at the top of the home page so that you can't help but see this story.

The new Manx team will make their track debut 25 years since we sent a very big and successful team to the 2nd Island Games in Guernsey. The athletes had a wonderful time and asked: "Why can't we compete as one team all the time?". I got heavily involved to try and bring about the change that the athletes asked for by campaigning for a single island club. After four years of opposition I gave up but I'm delighted that at least a part of what "one club" was about has been achieved albeit after a long time.

But its taken even longer for me to achieve something else. I recently found a certificate recording that I did a faster time for race walking 20 miles in 1981 than the one I had previously claimed. Steve Taylor has forwarded it to the IOMAA for ratification!

No comments: