Search Murray's blogs

Friday 11 February 2011

Margaid rivalled Dudley



I think that everyone who visits this site has seen photos of Dudley Butt's feet after the Parish Walk. I can only remember one person with anything as bad as that was my sister in her one and only competitive event, the 1980  TT Relay Walk where she walked the last eg.

Margaid  is pictured above just before Windy Corner in her white tennis shoes. A couple of miles down the road at Creg-ny-Baa she complained that her feet were in agony. "That's normal. Just try harder" or something similar were the encouraging words from her brother.

As she approached the finish line I noticed her RED shoes which were covered in blood. She was due to start her second year at university at Royal Hollaway (just south of London) a couple of days later and when she emerged from A & E with crutches I realised that I had little option but to drive her back - this was long before it became the norm for parents to drive students to the student digs, you were expected to go "boat and train" in those days. She was told to get the dressings changed every day in the UK and when she told a nurse she thought that she was making a fuss "just for blisters". Then she saw her feet.

Happy memories Margaid? Happy 50th birthday.

I wonder why she never did another event?

No comments: