Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 5 November 2009

We are all more than statistics

I turned my hand back to some statistical analysis earlier tonight. Rather than produce my normal list of fastest times, list by name and year etc (for the Haldane Fisher Syd Quirk Half Marathon) I calculated the number of finishes per athlete and their average time.

I thought my best time for the event (back in 1981) was half decent (as a race walker at the time) but I was put in the shade when I calculated that Steve Kelly's 10 winning times averaged the same as my best! Fantastic.

I have long held the belief that we should recognise people's achievements when they are with us and not wait until they pass away and suddenly realise all the good things they did during their lifetime that was not recognised during it. If something can't be said when they are alive its a bit late when they are gone.

Last night I wrote an obituary that really tested this belief. I can't publish it yet out of respect for the family of the 38 year old woman who was tragically killed in a road accident at Santon at 6 am yesterday morning. The (professional) media have not officially been told the name of the victim and her name won't be realeased until tomorrow.

It really was awful news to know that it was someone, although not in the mainstream, who had achieved an incredible amount in the sport. She will only ever appear very low in the list of rankings, fastest times and number of competitions. But in terms of personality she was near the top. I hope that this showed in my previous references to her but it will make very powerful reading tomorrow.

No comments: