Search Murray's blogs

Monday 16 November 2009

The champion frother still going strong

Over the years I have had letters published in such diverse publications as the Manx Media (lots), Race Walking Record, The Sunday Times, Motor Cycle News (MCN), New Musical Express (NME), Autosport & Athletics Weekly (lots).



But for every letter I have written there have been at least 10 times when I got "wound up" about something and think I shall write a letter. But then I either calm down, forget or just decide its not worth the effort.



The same thoughts go with my blogging and indeed with the ideas I get for doing larger features on the manxathletics.com site. I must have had 20 thoughts since Thursday about things I have been going to say and then not done so for the reasons explained above.



So for now, I am going to keep to my most recent thought and comment about Dave Newton. The 56 year old finished 27th out of the 36 starters so he only made the top 75% of the field. For some people that would be an achievement in itself for someone who used to regularly win Manx cross country events this is hugely sporting.



Most people watching would probably not even know that he used to be a winner let alone have seen a picture of him in full froth. It takes true sportsmanship to carry on making the same effort when you slow through running injuries and other overuse of the body.





Dave Newton (290) with Niall McGarrigle (248) pictured at Nobles Park by Neil Wilson yesterday. Dave has been competing in cross country for more about 35 years.

1 comment:

Michael said...

And he's always willing to help out others