Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 12 March 2009

Gold Cup for my wife

I'm sure a few people will think that she deserves a Gold Cup for putting up with me for 25 years but that's not quite the story. Marie has gone with a friend for 2 days at the Cheltenham Festival including the Gold Cup Race tomorrow.

The first time that I ran in the London Marathon in 1995 Marie went with me but I blamed her for keeping me awake with her cough and she ended up trying to sleep in the bathroom. She missed me at Tower Bridge when nattering to other Manx people so she may as well have stayed at home. Which is what she has done every year since then. She has had a "girls weekend", usually at the Grand National, but a couple of times in Cheltenham whilst I have indulged in statistics and blisters in London.

Marie was up at 5 am to prepare for her journey today and I've had a long day and basically run out of steam without doing many of the things I planned to do tonight.

Good to see that Parish Walk entries are up to 377.

I've started to plug to Snaefell Fell race again - just a week on Saturday.

Looking at the stats for the 20 miles I realise that I am the last person to run under 2 hours for 20 miles at the NSC in 2001. The problem is that I was about four laps behind Tony Okell.

Those who know me well will often have heard me say that "you never know that you are at your peak until you have passed it" and whilst Tony had better days when he was younger I think that some of his performances in the early part of the century were under-rated.

I opened the wine bottle a little earlier than usual tonight so my sentiments are possibly over positive but I feel really good about the sport tonight. So many events to look forward to, after 11 weeks of consistent training I feel that I have recovered to at least 80% of where I was last Summer and I continue to be amazed for the encouragement offered to Robbie.

No comments: