Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 19 March 2009

Aren't we lucky


I'm 52 years old and have enjoyed so many things during that time.
Craig Lunt was less than half my age when, despite appearing to be a very fit and healthy young footballer, he passed away suddenly because of an undiagnosed heart defect.
The http://www.craigheartstrongfoundation.co.uk/ was set up in Craig's memory to try prevent further tragic loss of young lives and it already has done so. You can help one of his friends, Aaron Quinn (pictured above) to raise £5,000 for this project. He is running in the Flora London Marathon in just five weeks time. You can give your donation at any time but why not do it now before you forget.
Its a couple of weeks since I promised Aaron to help with his sponsorship and 9 days since I took some of pictures of him at the National Sports Centre.
I'm sorry that it has taken me a while to get it done. Quite apart from the usual time pressures I find it very emotional to prepare features like the one I did tonight.
I didn't know Craig but I do know both his parents.
I met Keith during my first week at Ballakermeen in 1968 when I only knew one other boy among the 400 + boys at the north end of the school (the girls were kept apart in those days!). He was one of the only people to make me feel welcome to the big town! He could certainly beat me at cross country but like most boys he preferred football. He ran in the second ever London Marathon though in a time of 3.45.
Paula worked at the primary school which our boys attended and we marvel at what she has done with the charity.
I'm going to turn my attention to one or two other projects at the weekend.
Before I sign off, I'll make one more plea for you to sponsor Aaron. When I visited the National Sports Centre to meet with Aaron, there were people of all ages using the track, the roadway, the all weather pitch, the swimming pool and the other indoor facilities. Let's make sure that all our young people are around to enjoy all the different periods of a long and healthy life.

No comments: