Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 30 August 2012

What a wonderful world for Amstrong

One of the best purchases I ever made was to buy an internet radio.. I've got loads of stations programmed into the menu on my Pure Evoke and I've even been listening to Manx Radio news at 8 am each morning whilst on holiday.

On Bank Holiday Monday whenever we were in the cottage I was listening to the countdown of the best ever singles on Classic Gold. At number 34 was Louis Armstrong with "What a Wonderful World". Well it may be but he isn't around to see it any more.

No more that his namesake Neil, the first man on the moon who dominated the news over the weekend with his passing.

There is no chance that his piece of history will ever be re-written. Unlike yet another Amstrong who gave the headline writers their news the previous week. It was Lance's turn - you know the cyclist who never ever won the Tour de France.

I've just republished the feature I did last year on the first ever Isle of Man Bank Peel to Douglas Trail Race when history was made too. The event replaced the oldest road race on the Manx calendar between the same two towns. And you know who made the headlines in that one - yet another Armstrong.

I checked up on my good friend Nigel to ensure that nothing dramatic had happened in his life! There was a time earlier in the year when Nigel took a record number of tumbles. Whether he ran under the sun or the moon he seemed to fall over nearly every week.

Nigel's whole athletic year has been based around his debut in the Manx Mountain Marathon and with his last long run out of the way at the weekend (and I mean a long run) . I wonder if we'll have the chance to write a headline about Armstrong on a high or being over the moon?

No comments: