Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Old grey fergie

My brother Martin, who I used to share a bedroom with, spent all his spare time at Bishopscourt Farm before he headed for agricultural college.

Many a tale from the farm involved the old grey fergie.

The only person who moved with me from Michael Primary School to Douglas High School for Boys was a farmer's son and his stories when he sat next to me on the school bus also involved an old grey fergie.

For those that don't know, every farmer, no matter what other sophisticated tractors they had, would use a grey Massey Ferguson tractor for jobs like clearing the cow muck. Incredibly we saw one yesterday still in use on a Herefordshire Farm.


I wouldn't say that we are in a quiet place but when I went out for my run at 7 am this morning I didn't see a single person for 55 minutes. In the final five I saw two vehicles just to spoil my story.

The difference between running in the morning when at home is that when I get back and feel like going back to sleep instead of going to work I can do! We have plenty of room in our cottage:


It's actually a cottage combined with a part of the next door house.

Going out for lunch soon. One of the people we are meeting I last saw 27 years ago when we (old student friends) were meeting up when we were just starting families. Now we are all free to meet up without them!

No comments: