Search Murray's blogs

Friday 27 July 2012

7 year itch

I haven't seen much of the build up on TV but you've only got to see a little to feel the atmosphere. If you have Sky TV, an extra 24 channels appeared on the programme guide this week. Yes, the Olympic opening ceremony is to be held today.

I was in London on 6 July 2005 for a business meeting on behalf of my former employers. It was a day I'll never forgot as everyone cheered the news that the Olympics were to be held about five miles from where I was in 7 years time. Of course, the Evening Standard had massive headlines to mark the event. I remember being in London too when the headlines announced that there were 1,000 days to go.

Wow! That day has arrived.

Who remembers when we hoped that Manchester or Birmingham would win the right to the games in 1992?

A lot has happened between the days when we dreamt of the Olympics coming to the Britain and their arrival. And I have certainly slowed down a lot. Last night was my slowest ever run in the Foxdale 6 - I've lost over two minutes since it was announced that the Olympics were to be held in London.

Good to see such a good turnout last night though. An entry of more than 60 marked a revival in the event - in 2009 it was down to 27. Great to see young Jason Moore snatch his first big win. Well actually, I didn't see it because I was half a mile behind.



No comments: