Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Who Fayle for it?

I had a few people asking me why I had not featured an April Fool this year.

I remember when I started my weekend and school holiday job as a 13 year old on a milk round at Kirk Michael trying to find the names Sell and Fell in the delivery book. The houses I had been delivering to were actually in the names of Sayle and Fayle but with a strong Manx accent they are pronounced somewhat differently.

So Mrs April F (fool) Fayle formed a part of my April fool this year - particularly as she was buried at the cemetery at the Braaid. And there was no Australian long jump record set the previous weekend and there is no Harry Cregeen long jumper from Brisbane.

Oh, and by the way, Michael George didn't stand for the House of Keys last year. There were some people who thought he was several months after last year's wind up.

2 comments:

David Griffiths said...

I thought it was probably an April Fool but wasn’t totally sure! I think I caused a fair amount of alarm amongst some of our young athletes when I posted on Facebook that next year’s Island Games had been switched from Bermuda to the Isle of Man!

Murray Lambden said...

It would have been good news for the fundraisers from the Isle of Man perhaps!