Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 21 September 2011

A woman for every man

One of the reasons why the field sizes have grown so much in our long distance walking events is that more and more women have been taking part.

In fact, if you were to judge how many there are by the volume of walkers training that are female, you might think that there were more women than men.

Well not quite but its getting close.

There is a record entry of 454 for this year's Ramsey Bakery End to End Walk. This is made up of 220 women and 234 men (thanks to Jock Waddington for the stats).

To bring the event, which starts at 8 am on Sunday to your attention, I embedded the event website (produced by Adrian Cowin) into the home page last night. Adrian took part in the End to End Mountain Bike Challenge on Sunday but he will be back to website duties this week.

And I will be staying on the website with no plan to rejoin the entries - it is 31 years since I last completed the (old) course.

I may be out as early as Bride to take photos and video or maybe a little later. Last year I also went to the finish. I am undecided at this stage.

Good luck to everyone taking part - and I look forward to finding out whether more women than men reach the finish. By next year if not this.

No comments: