Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 9 December 2009

Peel to Douglas Walk extra coverage

I'm planning to update my database of finishers tonight and will republish the files containing fastest times/ number of finishes etc. Its always best to get these things done when they are fresh in my mind - I hate opening the file a year later only to realise that I am a year behind.

I've also got one or two tales about visiting walker Peter Ryan to tell.

I put the Millennium Way Relay back on the front page last night. It still needs a lot more people to help if it is to go ahead. These are not ideal threats. Many people seem to have missed the point with their comments about the Peel to Douglas Walk. There were not as many marshals as were required and event organisers cannot continue taking unnecessary risks. I'm certainly going to continue speaking out on road safety matters as I have done for the past 25 years.

The Millennium Way Relay is another special event for me as I took part in the first one and up until recent years I was one of the most prolific entrants. But it always put a strain on our family life when I used to help to organise it and / or had to arrange transport for runners that I had coerced into taking part. I eventually decided that if it was to remain on Boxing Day that I would no longer take part or be involved, although I have continued to take photos and video on my own terms ( short stint in middle of the race usually). I thought about rejoining this year (because it is on 27 December) but have now decided to stick with my media role. Plenty of coverage on the site therefore.

No comments: