Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 10 December 2009

Final email of the day was the best yesterday

I couldn't resist the challenge tonight when I read in the Manx Independent that Steve Partington didn't know how many times he had been in the Peel to Douglas Walk.

A few years ago I compiled the list of how many times he had won it when the question was asked of Steve by John Watterson. Unlike me, Steve doesn't wear an anorak!

Unless he has any other "DNFs" or "DQs" that I don't know about then there were three attempts that he did not win.

1983 was the first time I took photos of the event and it was an incredible race with 2 under 20s battling it out with Allan Callow (what a difference in the age profile this year - more about that another day). Poor young Steve suffered in the way that Michael George does these days or perhaps the result might have been different.

In 2003 I was there with camera in hand to see him pull up injured in Crosby.

Last year he was beaten fair and square by two visiting walkers.

Pictures of all three events on the front page.

I've not been online long tonight. I had the chance as I was on my own in the house but I chose to tackle my newspaper mountain (I learnt about the Lib Dem conference!). It was quite different last night when I was tired and grumpy after my mid-week early morning run and took far longer than I should doing as I had promised adding to the Peel to Douglas feature.

My mood was totally lifted when I received a funny email.

I have published it here: It starts quiet well but it worth waiting until the end.

www.manxathletics.info/download/WelshPizza.mp3

1 comment:

Mark Hempsall said...

Classic- very good ;-)