Search Murray's blogs

Saturday 5 March 2011

Walker claims 4 minute mile

The average age of the first six finishers in the Leinster Management 20 miles this morning was over 50. A bit sad.

But it was still a great day of sport from the unpredictability of the results to the achievements of some of the elderly runners to the support all the athletes gave to each other to the fantastic officials supporting everything that we did.

I say “we” because it was my first race for five months with the result that I didn’t take any photos or videos for a change. In fact there was a distinct lack of photographers other than Mike Wade from Isle of Man Newspapesr.

The in form Kevin Deakes blasted away from the start with Tony “I’m running 2.10 pace” Okell following him through the first mile in 2.03 pace. And that was to be Tony’s winning time after Kevin started to tie up with a calf problem and slowed to 2.07.

The winning times may have been slower than normal but in perfect weather conditions were probably faster than I expected. And if Tony Okell were to stick to the roads I would expect to see the over 50s record smashed out of sight with a sub 2 hour performance next year. Kevin remains in great shape and will surely smash his marathon best if he goes ahead and runs in the Salclear Marathon at Ramsey in August.

Tom Melvin dramatically improved his best time to grab third placed in 2.12 and will surely do the same with his marathon in London. He passed me at around three quarters distance and at that point I didn’t think I would make the finish. Michael George, who like me set a personal worst, walked the course and saved my bacon by telling me to take my own medicine – when you are slowing don’t fight too hard but wait for your body to recover. I finished in over 2.13 and its back to the drawing board for me. 10 weeks of training since Boxing Day have not made up for all the lost time from September last year although some tapering is also required. I thought I could get through this after a heavy weekend last week but clearly not.

I thought that Richard Radcliffe was catching me after un-lapping himself but it was Paul Cubbon who was actually closest. He was another to set a big PB and Richard is thought to have set an over 55s record with a negative split. I am not sure whether they both beat 2.14. Paul had only run as far as 13 miles so far this year but it didn't prevent a big PB.

I am writing this all from memory so I am struggling to remember all the places but Nicki Boyde was her usual impressive self in 7th (I think) although she started an extra lap – the only lap scoring problem that I was aware of. Rachael Tewksbury was also impressive and was not far behind. Although still suffering from vertigo, Nicki hopes to run the London Marathon for the third and final time next month before trying her hand at a number of other big races in years to come.

There were many other racing highlights not least when Stephen Brown, Paul Curphey and Alan Sandford all took the bell within about 6 seconds. Alan has improved speed after training with Nigel Armstrong on occasions and took the honours. Paul passed Stephen who was determined not to be 4 seconds behind Paul, as in the London Marathon last year, and re-took the position. Paul avoided a personal worst on his 18th consecutive finish.

It was no wonder that Dave Walker was feeling tired afterwards after running 4 minutes per mile! He meant 4 minutes per lap of course.

Steve Cain was not among the finishers after sustaining a calf injury on Peel Hill during a walk last weekend but he set a PB at half marathon before calling it a day at 17.5.

It’s only in the Isle of Man where you can order your drinks a lap in advance and Simon Cox and Vinny Lynch were a credit on the drinks station. The help that the walkers give to the runners is certainly appreciated with Parish Walk heroes Sean Hands and Jock Waddington among the lap scorers.

There was a great spread of goodies at the finish and Brenda Charlton was the star with endless cups of tea. Thanks to Marie Jackson for pulling the whole event together – another selfless performance.

I didn’t intend to write this much and I can’t mention every official or every athlete but its worth mentioning Moira Hall who is more than 60 years of age and ran 3.08 with a word of support for every runner in the race whether faster or slower. That sums the day up.





1 comment:

Dave said...

After a wildly optomistic 4 minute mile pace (enough to set a new world record at any middle distance event!!), I decided I would aim for a 4 minute per lap pace and save myself for the sprint finish! That plan also failed miserably as I was more than seven minutes behind my nearest competitor. Thanks for reminding me Murray.