Search Murray's blogs

Monday 21 March 2011

Digging our hands in our pockets

Thanks to Lisa Motley for sending me the link to the Run for Japan website that is featured today. It finally got my wallet open - its all too easy to think that we must do something and never get around to helping other people.

Its difficult to know what any of us can do from the other side of the world. Its difficult for me too as the website editor to decide when I should suspend the website coverage of athletics as a mark of respect for a tragedy as I have on occasions for local and international bad news.

Taken to one extreme there would never be any website coverage of athletics. If I searched hard enough I could find news stories about human suffering every day of the year that would suggest that athletics is pretty futile.

Taken to the other extreme it is all too easy to moan about our aches and pains and treat the Isle of Man and athletics in particular as if they were not in the real world. We would never do anything to help. I can't pretend I have really made any sacrifices to help but that is the point. A good percentage of the people enjoying athletics on the Isle of Man can afford to do something to help with less pain than running, jumping, throwing or walking.

I know that some people think that charity should stay within our shores. But imagine if our shores had been breached in the way that they have in Japan. We would certainly be grateful if the rest of the world breached our charity demarcation to help us.

Thankfully, most of us enjoy good health, a good lifestyle and a fantastic athletics scene on the Isle of Man. I'll return to those things for the rest of the week.

No comments: