Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 10 February 2013

Unorthodox warm down

Using the word "warm" in any report of today's final round of the Microgaming Isle of Man Cross Country today is a bit incongruous. It was bitterly cold running through the muddiest and wettest cross country ever to be held at the Crossags Farm course.

But convention says that you should do some light exercise after the hard version to gradually ease down. I decided to skip mine, well not literally, but ended up doing something equally unusual.

Gianni Epifani's car had broken down and a group of runners, including winner Andy Barron, ended up pushing G's car to try and bump start it before admitting defeat.

In my case, it actually helped me warm up, not warm down. I had my usual problem with circulation in my hands and feet and is was some time after getting showered at home before the full feeling returned to my toes.

In the interim, I was hoping that my car didn't let me down as I feared I had made a mistake driving over the mountain road. There was a heavy covering of snow for a couple of miles before reaching the Black Hut. The roads were then clear for a mile or so before the snow returned on the road between the Bungalow and Hailwood's Heights.

Thanks as always to the organising club, in this case Northern AC, and the team who coordinate the entries and results.

I didn't take any cameras with me today but I'm looking forward to seeing those photos that were taken. If anyone has a couple that I could publish, please email murray@manxathletics.com

No comments: