Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Reliable timing


My Garmin packed up the other day and I was lost without it (thankfully it is working again).

I'm lost if I don't know the time too and these days nearly everyone has reliable watches whether they cost thousands of pounds to reflect somebody's status or, like me, use one that is just as accurate for less than a tenner.

In the old days, however, public clocks were much more important and the Jubilee Clock (above) was a feature of Douglas. Everyone knew the Jubilee Clock in Douglas especially if you were learning to drive (or taking your test) when you used to drive down Victoria Street, round the clock and back the other side (don't try it now).

I had forgotten what a fine feature it is. And at least the photo was easy to take and catch the mixture of architecture in the background. Not like the photos I took of the Red Arrows from the balcony of La Piazza where we had just eaten last night. I just couldn't  get any decent shots of my compact camera (I didn't have my SLR because I was late from work).

Its back to athletics tonight though with the 10,000 metres on the track for both walkers and runners. We can be sure of some reliable timekeeping there from the skilled timekeepers - even though I doubt if I will the time they tell me I have recorded.

No comments: