Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 27 January 2011

Not listening to my body

A couple of hours ago I didn't think I had much chance of achieving this evening's goals for the website. I am pleased to say that I put my endurance experience to good effect and finished both.

The first is there to see and I am delighted to profile Kevin Deakes. I love almost all forms of athletes but of course the things that you can relate to best are those that you are doing yourself. I am an over 50 long distance runner and I thought I had set some half decent marks in the past four years but Kevin came along out of the blue to set the Manx record. I respect that.

At the other end of the age range, the Isle of Man sent a team to the North West Counties Sportshall athletics at the weekend and today I received a 100 or so photos from Trevor Christian, taken by Kerry Mackey. I've uploaded these to a website album and these will be available to view sometime tomorrow morning (well, its actually this morning now).

My day started at 5.30 and I was running by 6 am, the first time this winter I have done one of my early starts. But I didn't go as far as planned as I am still pretty unfit and when I started to slow I listened to my body and stopped half way.

If I had listened to my body tonight I would have gone to bed a few hours ago and not completed the things that we enjoy sharing.

The website will only ever be a means to an end and the day ends for me with a reflection that I am not sure I have allowed myself before but all four of our family ran today. Marie managed to jog a couple of miles for the first time for some time, Robbie continued his latest obsession of running a mile twice day at the NSC and Ben tells me that he is finally over a knee injury and ran the same distance as me in Hull today - five miles.

Oh *hit, I have just remembered my promise to have a shave today. My computer may be thrown out the window tomorrow morning!

No comments: