Search Murray's blogs

Friday 22 November 2013

Love at first run

This time yesterday I met an old work colleague who more or less said that she couldn't wait to move away from the Isle of Man. Most things were bad about the island and everything was going downhill.

I re-stated my belief that it is the best place to live and last night I thought about why I hold that view.

Firstly, although my sister and one of my two brothers, and their families, live off the island, the vast majority of my and my wife's relations live here. Its becoming rare to have such a concentration of relatives.

Secondly, the natural beauty of the Isle of Man is as good as it gets. I enjoy the nostalgic photos of the island, and some places have been spoiled by development, but there is still enough open space and so much variety of scenery.

Thirdly, economically the Isle of Man is in such good shape. I know that will sound like an empty statement to those loosing their jobs at Flybe or Mount Murray, but the vast majority of people enjoy a better standard of living here despite their protestations to the contrary.

And the fourth and final point as that we have so many friends here. I love travelling, sometimes to less than exciting places, but it always make me realise how lucky I am to live here.

My most regular travel for the past 20 years has been to the London Marathon. In the early years it was largely just with Paul Curphey but with occasional guest companions such as Richard Randle and Chris Quine. Our regular group grew half way through this period to include Mike Garrett and Nigel Armstrong.


 Here we are being collected at my house by Mike in 2007 with Nigel's smile showing his already plotting some practical joke or other.


2008 was the only year Nigel and I started in the AAA section of the London Marathon. It was the London Marathon I enjoyed least as it was year I was learning to cope with exercise induced asthma but I am left with the memory of Nigel actually running in the opposite direction to the race to help me before I persuaded him to go on his own, or at least to run with Mark Clague.


Nigel is seen here with Paul and Mike at the Tower DLR station on one of our London visits.


He has always been supportive and understanding with Robbie even though, as a Liverpool supporter, this cup of tea left a bitter taste.

Like all friendships, there are some differences. Nigel has yet to recruit any of us on his trips to the art galleries and other cultural activities. But he did used to take us to the Savoy Hotel for a post marathon drink and for the past three years to Jamie's Italian in Canary Wharf.

In 2008 he found someone with whom he appears to share all of his interests. He met Emma at the Comrades Marathon and the following week she was on the Isle of Man. Last month they married quietly in the states,


Here they are in London 2010. Last weekend I booked their hotel room for London 2014 without the knowledge that they had been married.

I am so pleased for them.

(Sorry that this was left with more errors than usual but I took an important phone call whilst writing it at lunchtime.)

No comments: