Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 30 June 2013

Midnight rambler


With a backlog of sleep to catch up on this weekend, I should have gone to bed when my body told me yesterday - about 6 pm! Instead with just a few minutes of snoring beforehand, I stayed awake through the BBC's coverage of the Rolling Stones at Glastonbury.

Watching the performance from mid way through was a bit like watching a high jump from half way through the competition, or even the second half of a marathon. You never quite get the same feeling for how good it was. I've never seen the Rolling Stones perform although the original version of "Brown Sugar" is up there with another song featuring the Stone's guitarist, Ron Wood, in my favourites - the Faces' "Stay with Me". The only time I have been close to one of their members was when Ron Wood, with his first band the Birds, played at Farnbrough Town Hall in 1965 - about 30 yards away from where we lived when I was a kid

I thought about going to watch the start of the TT Triathlon at 6 am this morning. But after watching the Stones perform "Midnight Rambler" thinking about it was about as fas as I got. I was three hours later than usual having my normal run and self preservation (my hip has been sore since racing on Thursday) meant it was only going to be a slow three miles.

I carried my compact camera and took a few photos of the triathlon. I even stopped to talk to experienced Ironman triathlete Nev Jewell who told me the good news that Juan Kinley and Russell Collister were first and second in the short distance event.

I wasn't sure of the course for the marathon,  I'm going to pop and see some of it later, and couldn't believe it when I heard that the last mile includes one of my regular training routes from the promenade through Little Switzerland to the Grandstand, That is cruel.

There were reports that one of the competitors was pushing his bike 10 miles into the 113 mile route. I've got a feeling there will be a few midnight ramblers up the hill at the end.


No comments: