Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 27 June 2013

Bizarre

Bizarre is one of those overused words. I don't recall it being used on this blog before. But the run at Laa Columb Killey tonight was bizarre in so many ways.

First of all I have to explain that the marathon is only 5.5 miles long (or even 5.5km at one place on the website).

There was a bigger field than for some years but nobody wanted to lead. Through the first quarter of a mile Isle of Man Newspapers Sports Editor John Watterson was in front. With me on his shoulder I joked (as we are both prolific photographers, he in a professional capacity, me in a take loads and one of them will be ok kind of way) that at least neither of us could record the moment.

Next up, as I pushed on a bit, I looked over my shoulder to see three runners in pursuit. There was Paul, Paul and Paul! Messrs Sheard, Sykes and Curphey in my tracks.

As we passed the Colby Glen Hotel Paul Curphey and I, who trained together three times a week for about 15 years, side by side leading the race. It was if we were stepping back in time.

I was beginning to enjoy it. Head down. 10 minutes in the race and I was on my own. 18 minutes, that must be about half way and I was still leading. Finally Paul Sheard and Paul Sykes passed me on Fishers Hill and I started to think I was hitting the way even in this truncated marathon.

I stayed ahead of Curph so spoilt an all Paul top three as Paul Sykes finished clear of his namesake Sheard.

But marathon running has rarely been so much fun - or as bizarre.


No comments: