Search Murray's blogs

Saturday 1 November 2008

Why I intend to provide more coverage of the Syd Quirk Half Marathon than I ever will again!

After a 15 year break, I ran in the 1996 Syd Quirk and have run in 12 of the last 13 including the last 9. I entered this year's event last Thursday evening but by Friday morning I realised that it would be foolish to undo the rehabilitation work I've done in the last few weeks under the direction of Mark Hempsall. I've only run 38 miles in total during the last 9 weeks - and that includes 3 today! And for those of you know my secrets, it was my own decision this time!

So I am hoping that the ability and opportunity I have to provide extra coverage of the event this year will be a one off. I hope that I will be back in the race for the next few years!

I'm planning to take video and still film of the start of the walk and to publish it by 10 am using the offices of my employer, Buchanan Holdings Limited, at Portland House in Ballasalla near to the railway station.

I'll then repeat the exercise for the run and get extra photos of the leaders on the second lap before heading to the finish.

For the past few years I have done the results and its a big advantage for me this year (for this purpose) not to be taking part and its also great to know that we don't have to spend time inputting all the late entries (thanks Marie).

Adrian Cowin, the webeditor of the IOMVAC site, is on the night shift tonight and has delegated his photo duties to his family, Jan and Adam, so look out for their coverage tomorrow too. I'll provide the links.

Stan Hall is also going to be taking his normal selection of photos and I plan to leave it these guys again next year.

I'm well known for my desire to appear on the Grumpy Old Man programme and I have been practising again tonight. I popped down to Shoprite this evening and could not believe that they are selling Christmas trees and decorations. Can someone remind the retail industry that it is 1 November and that Christmas is supposed to be a 12 day celebration? I'm not a Christian but I do know that the faith is based around Jesus saving our souls not our retail industry.

No comments: